Dentists will do just about anything to prevent you from losing a tooth, but there are times when the situation is almost unavoidable. While it is common to lose a tooth because of a cavity or gum disease, it is just as common to be born without certain permanent teeth in the first place. Regardless of the cause, virtually every dentist in Smithfield will recommend dental implants as the best possible solution for replacing your missing teeth.
These 5 facts about dental implants are sure to shed some light on these incredibly successful artificial teeth:
- In 2006, statistics showed that US dentists had placed as many as 5,505,720 dental implants and that number has continued to increase by an estimated 500,000 new implants a year.
- According to literature that has been cited by the American Academy of Implant Dentistry, the success rate of dental implants averages around 98 percent.
- Teeth that have been replaced with dental implants cannot get cavities! As an artificial tooth root and crown, the implant simply doesn’t decay like a natural tooth. You still must protect the supportive bone and gum tissue by brushing and flossing in the same manner as you would protect your natural teeth. Regular professional dental cleanings and checkups are also essential over the lifetime of your dental implant.
- Dental implants are the only tooth replacement option that maintains and stimulates the structure of the natural bone. In fact, implants actually help to stimulate bone growth and prevent further bone loss.
- A growing number of dental insurance companies are recognizing and covering a portion of the cost of dental implant-related procedures.
If you have a missing tooth or are preparing to have a bad tooth extracted, seek the professional advice of a dentist in Smithfield who has experience working with dental implants. Get more information by calling to schedule an appointment today.